top of page

Fan Group

Public·49 members

Degree Experience Work

Many schools offer nontraditional students college credit for work experience. This benefit helps degree-seekers skip unnecessary courses and graduate faster than their peers. Learners also pay less for a degree. Incoming and current learners can start this process by speaking with an academic advisor or researching their school's website.

degree experience work

Download Zip:

This page explains how colleges award credit for experience. Read on for answers to frequently asked questions and for information on top outside resources. Please use the embedded links to learn how students can turn professional experience into college credit.

The following five schools attract nontraditional students by offering college credit for work experience. Many other institutions feature similar policies, helping learners graduate faster and save money on a degree. Please note that some details may have changed since this article's publication. Contact a school to learn more.

Berklee offers prior learning credit (PLC) for undergraduate degrees. Incoming students may earn up to 30 PLCs. Degree-seekers can start earning PLCs by researching the course catalog and speaking with an academic advisor. Learners then enroll in the school's prior learning portfolio course.

Enrollees write a statement describing how their life or professional experience meets one or more of the course's learning outcomes. A typical statement does not exceed six pages. Berklee accepts statements once per academic semester. As of Jan. 2022, the college charges $150 for each portfolio course and a per-credit fee.

CMU undergraduate and graduate students may qualify for prior learning credit (PLC). Undergraduates can earn up to 60 PLCs. Graduate degree-seekers can earn up to 10 PLCs. Learners cannot apply PLCs toward specific graduation requirements, such as math, speech, and writing courses.

Developing a PLC portfolio involves submitting documents and writing self-assessments. Learners review the university's student handbook for the latest instructions and requirements. As of Dec. 2021, degree-seekers pay $125 for each portfolio. CMU reviews portfolios three times annually. Processing takes about 8-10 weeks. Students may appeal a PLC decision once.

CSU-Global's prior learning assessment (PLA) benefits nontraditional learners earning an undergraduate degree. The process requires submitting the PLA form, a resume, and a portfolio. The portfolio should include evidence of relevant experience matching a course's learning objectives. As of Jan. 2022, CSU-Global charges $150 for each portfolio.

Applicants need at least four years of work experience. Degree-seekers must also complete three or more CSU-Global courses before submitting a PLA portfolio. Some learners receive up to 30 PLA credits, reducing their time in school by about one year. Some PLA credits may not transfer to other accredited colleges and universities.

Students uninterested in taking exams can use portfolio assessments to earn CPL. Learners who completed at least 12 credits at EKU work with an advisor to determine relevant courses. Requirements include writing a narrative (5-10 pages) and submitting documents. A content expert reviews portfolios. Some academic and eligibility requirements vary by department.

Linfield offers nontraditional students college credit for life experience, such as work, travel, hobbies, and volunteering. Degree-seekers may qualify for up to 31 of the 125 credits required for a bachelor's degree. The first option involves enrolling in a portfolio course. Learners write an autobiography and an education plan. This information helps professors determine required portfolio documents.

Some degree-seekers do not submit a portfolio but complete an American Council on Education-approved training program. Many companies offer these programs, including AT&T and US West. Linfield also accepts the CLEP and independently developed challenge exams.

Many students earn work/life credit through examinations. Colleges use privately developed exams to assess learners' competency in different subjects. Some schools ask faculty to create exams. Students contacting their prospective schools may discover other ways to earn credit.

A college's credit cap determines how many credits someone may earn for life experience. This cap varies by college. Each school uses different prior learning assessments (PLAs). Colleges award this credit by examining incoming students' professional certifications, continuing education (CE) courses, and volunteer work. Schools may also consider military training, workplace training, and independent study projects.

Most PLA application processes take 2-4 weeks. The time frame depends on the school and learners' work experience. The process involves completing a form and submitting relevant documents to a school's PLA coordinator. These documents may include a certification, professional portfolio, and proof of CE completion.

Transfer advisors can help students determine if and how credits transfer to another school. Many colleges post their credit transfer agreements online. Students who earned college credit for work experience should note that this credit may not transfer. As a result, they must complete the same PLA process at their new school.

Many colleges use the College Board's College Level Examination Program (CLEP) to help incoming students earn credit for prior knowledge and life experience. Exams include American government, introduction to education psychology, and American literature. As of Jan. 2022, the College Board charges the same fee for every exam.

Southern New Hampshire University offers 600+ opportunities for credit for prior learning (CPL) or prior learning assessment (PLA). Experts here review each experience, then determine the credits assigned to it.

"I utilized Sophia to minimize my degree time," said Kierra Coxwell '21. "Instead of my degree taking 4 years, I managed to finish right at a year and a half. This really cut down on the cost and my time that I put in. Now I can graduate with a master's in the same time it would have taken me to get a four-year degree."

Designed to be completed in just 60 days, Sophia is a great way to save time and money when earning your degree. And because there are no term starts, you can begin learning on your phone, tablet or computer whenever you want. After passing a course, Sophia submits your transcript to SNHU.

Awarded credits may vary based on the date(s) an experience was completed and/or due to curriculum changes. While SNHU makes every effort to keep this information current and accurate, SNHU is not responsible for any errors or omissions.

If you have questions about how much experience you need for a particular job, review the Job Requirements > Qualifications section of the job announcement or contact the hiring agency listed in the job announcement.

To qualify for jobs at the GS-7 grade (or equivalent) level and higher, you must have specialized experience. At least 1 year of your specialized experience must be equivalent to the next lower grade level. For example, to qualify for a GS-12 grade (or equivalent) level, you must have a minimum of 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-11 grade (or equivalent) level.

In some cases, yes. The completion of a relevant course could be viewed by employers as the equivalent of actual work experience. If that course was highly regarded, it may even be valued higher than time spent in the field.

That depends on what you plan to study and what the entry requirements for your chosen profession are. In lots of professions, a degree from a good school will help you to get a foot in the door and move up the ranks. College is expensive, though, and might not always be necessary.

The United Nations workforce is made up of different categories of staff. Within each category there are different levels, which reflect increasing levels of responsibilities and requirements. The information in this section will help you decide in which staff category, and at what level, you fit in. This will be useful when you start searching and applying for jobs.

Normally, it is required that you have an advanced university degree for the professional and director level positions. It is, however, frequently accepted that if you have a first-level university degree, combined with qualifying work experience, you meet the educational requirements.

Positions in certain job families, including military, civilian police, medical, conference services may have different standards for the minimum educational requirements, which are accordingly reflected in their respective job openings. Positions from job families that require specialized studies, e.g. Medical Doctors, require an advanced university degree, which cannot be substituted by a combination of a first-level university degree and experience. Positions in some other areas, mainly language positions, might require only a first-level university degree for the minimum educational requirements.

Your work experience should be relevant to the job for which you are applying; each job may also have specific requirements, which are specified in the opening. For mid-career and senior level positions, progressively responsible work experience is required. As you acquire more relevant work experience you can progressively apply for higher positions.

There are six official languages at the United Nations: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish. Two of these, English and French, are the working languages. To work for the United Nations you need to have excellent command of either English or French. Knowledge of an additional language is an asset but is not required for most jobs.

There is a wide range of jobs in the eight job networks: management and operations support; economic and social development; political, peace and security; information systems and communication technology; legal; public information and external relations; conference management; and safety and security. You can learn more about the different jobs in the section on job networks. 041b061a72


Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
bottom of page